The leather is one of the most used material in making clothing. It is a sturdy, durable and attractive material. It needs to be stitched together to create clothing, just like any other fabric. Having the best leather sewing machine will ensure you make the best leather designs. A leather sewing machine is specifically designed to stitch through the leather seamlessly and firmly.
There are many types of leather sewing machines available in the market. Finding the best one might not be very straightforward. You might be wondering, what is the best industrial sewing machine for leather? Worry less! We went exploring the various types of leather sewing machines to find out how they compare against each other. This is a review of several leather sewing machines that have been established to be great. After reading the review, you should be able to get the best sewing machine for leather yourself. First, below is a snippet of the various leather sewing machines that we are going to review.
Best Leather Sewing Machine 2019
- Singer Heavy Duty 4423 – this is a heavy-duty leather sewing machine with 24 inbuilt stitches.
- Singer Sew Mate 5400– this is a top of the range sewing machine with 60 inbuilt stitches. It comes with computerized systems.
- Sailrite Heavy-Duty – this sewing machine comes in an ancient design but it’s very powerful. It has 100% power transfer.
- Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 – This is a top-rated leather stitching machine. It comes with 600 stitching options.
- Singer Tradition 2259 – this is a moderate performance sewing machine. It has 19 built-in stitches and a single one-step buttonhole.
- Janome H3 3000 – this is yet another top-rated sewing machine. It is jam proof, and it has a speed of 860 stitches per minute.
- Brother ST371HD Sewing Machine – This is a top of the range sewing machine. It comes with 37 stitches and a speed of 800 stitches per minute.
The Singer 4423 sewing machine is a fantastic machine ideal for leather applications. It has enough power to stitch through leather and other tough fabrics conveniently. The machine comes with a lot of impressive features; all engineered to ensure you can produce some of the best leather products. A closer look at its features will certainly convince you to get one.
- The sewing machine comes with 23 inbuilt stitches
- It features an automated threading system
- It has a transparent bobbin cover
- It boasts of a heavy-duty metallic frame
- It has a 25-year warranty
- The sewing machine allows a variety of stitching and decoration designs
- It is powerful enough to stitch firmly through leather
- It has a very durable construction
- It is a high-speed sewing machine. It delivers a speed of 100 stitches per minute.
- There are numerous complaints on Amazon about the machine jamming at the feeding area.
The Singer 4423 seems to have all the hallmarks of a great sewing machine. The machine delivers a very impressive performance. It comes with numerous accessories to help you make the best designs ever. The leather is a tough material, and it requires an equally tough sewing machine to stitch through it. This sewing machine fits the bill.
The Singer Sew Mate is yet another Amazing sewing machine designed to deliver power and sewing convenience. It has a wide range of stitches to choose from. Many of the stitches are decorative, giving endless options to ensure your designs stand out. The sewing machine does not fall any short as far as power is concerned. It will stitch through leather very easily.
- It comes with an automated threading system
- It has an LED bulb to light up the work area
- The sewing machine has a 25-year warranty
- It does 75 stitches per minute
- The Sewing machine offers a wide variety of stitches to work with.
- It is lightweight hence relatively portable
- All its systems are computerized hence very convenient
- The machine is very durable
- The LED bulb ensures you can see the work area clearly
- The sewing machine has a rather small table.
- There are numerous complains about its feeder jamming frequently
The Singer Sew mate 5400 does is a fantastic option for any serious leather tailor. It will undoubtedly live up to the task. Many customers who have used it before having only good things to say about it. The sewing machine packs power and convenience, the two most basic requirements on a good sewing machine.
The Sialrite sewing machine is a top of the range leather sewing machine. This is the machine you need if you are a professional tailor. The sewing machine is very powerful and comes with some of the best features you will find on a sewing machine. It comes with a handy guidebook too. The book could come in very handy when you don’t know which stitch to use.
- The sewing machine comes with an inbuilt piping tunnel
- It features 100% power transfer
- It comes with a guidebook
- It is fitted with four bobbins
- It features a patented posi-pin clutch system
- The sewing machine ensure no of your pedaling energy is lost
- It is very durable
- It has enough power to stitch through the leather
- It comes with a high foot lift space and a wide presser foot that allows ample room for your feet
- The sewing machine does not have automatic threading. Threading might prove to be a nuisance.
The Silrite sewing machine is a fantastic sewing machine. It is a case of old being gold. Regardless of its ancient design, the machine will deliver the required performance. It attracts overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon. The sewing machine has certainly satisfied the requirements of many users. You most likely will not be disappointed with it either. This is arguably the best sewing machine for leather bags.
The Singer Quantum sewing machine is a top of the range sewing machine that delivers an awe-inspiring performance. The machine comes with a whopping 600-stitches which give you unlimited options and allows you to stretch your creativity fully. It has fully computerized systems and a very convenient auto-pilot stitching feature.
- The machine comes with 600 inbuilt stitches
- It has 13 one-step buttonhole designs
- All its systems are computerized
- It features power control and automatic reverse
- It does 850 stitches per minute
- The many stitches give you unlimited options to work with
- The computerized systems are very convenient
- The machine comes with an LCD for easy user interface
- It is a very durable sewing machine
- It has a very high sewing speed
- Typical of most singer machines, this sewing machine tends to jam while feeding.
- The sewing machine may be difficult to set up if you haven’t used a computerized sewing machine before.
The Singer quantum machine is a top-rated sewing machine in many quarters. It is a commercial grade sewing machine. It will work perfectly in leather stitching applications. It has a wide range of stitches and numerous impressive features, all designed to ensure you produce some of the best stitching designs. You should see the reviews it attracts on Amazon. They are further proof of the prowess of the sewing machine. This is arguably the best sewing machine for denim and leather.
The Singer Tradition 2259 is yet another fantastic sewing machine from the singer series. It further cements the position of singer sewing machines as an industry leader. This machine is a moderate performance sewing machine, which is probably ideal for a beginner. It comes with 19 stitches and a single one-step buttonhole. It has several other impressive features that warrant its appearance on the review.
- The sewing machine comes with 19 built-in stitches
- It comes with one 4-step buttonhole
- It sits on a heavy-duty metallic frame
- It comes with a 25-year warranty
- The sewing machine is very durable
- It has free arm sewing that allows you easy access to squeezed parts
- It has a very convenient automatic threader
- It comes with a high presser foot which allows more room for your legs
- It delivers ample power to stitch firmly through the leather
- The bobbin area of the machine tends to jam frequently during feeding.
The Singer Tradition sewing machine is a simple, moderate performance machine. This tandy leather sewing machine has enough power to stitch through leather. It is a great option for a beginner. It may not have a wide range of stitching options, but it will certainly do the trick. It is a great option if you are on a compressed budget.
The Janome HD 3000 is yet another amazing sewing machine. The sewing machine delivers an impressive speed of 860 stitches per minute. That’s arguably the fastest speed we have in the review. The sewing machine is designed to be jam-proof. You can rest assured you are going to experience no downtime with the sewing machine.
- The sewing machine is jam-proof
- The sewing machine has a speed of 860 stitches per minute
- It comes with an adjustable presser
- The sewing machine is equipped with 18 built-in stitches
- The sewing machine has a very durable construction
- It comes with the very convenient automatic threader
- The machine delivers a very impressive stitching speed
- The machine is jam proof. You will not have to worry about it jamming
- The machine is very powerful
- The sewing machine only uses 110v input voltage, which may not be available everywhere.
The Janome HD is a top of the range sewing machine. This heavy leather sewing machine comes with some of the most impressive features you will find on a sewing machine. Its fully computerized systems are very user-friendly and convenient. This sewing machine offers you endless possibilities. There is a lot you can achieve with it.
This review would be incomplete if we did not have a Brother sewing machine. Brother machines are renowned worldwide for their fantastic performance and convenience. The Brother ST371HD is an amazing sewing machine that will stitch through the leather with amazing prowess. This walking foot sewing machine for leather sits on a durable, heavy-duty metallic frame. You can, therefore, expect it to last very long.
- The sewing machine sits on a metal frame
- It has an LED bulb
- It has a speed of 800 stitches per minute
- It comes with 37 built-in stitches
- The machine is extremely lightweight
- It has a high stitching speed
- It has a wider variety of stitches. It gives you more options
- It is a very durable sewing machine
- The LED bulb lights up your work area very brightly
- The machine has a lot of plastic parts on its outer shell. They tend to break very easily.
The Brother ST371HD is an amazing sewing machine. It can comfortably work on lather and other tough fabrics. It has all the features you would expect on a great sewing machine. The performance of the machine cannot be questioned. It has very impressive reviews on Amazon. You will certainly love having this sewing machine in your hands.
Best Leather Sewing Machine 2019 – Buyer’s Guide
The reviews above are supposed to help you better understand what a good leather sewing machine entails. The sewing machines reviewed above are best-suited to different situations. As such, the best sewing machine for you may not be the best for the next person. To narrow down to your best-suited sewing machine, you need to consider several factors. The factors revolve around the performance of the machine and your intended use. Getting the right sewing machine is paramount if your desire is to get the best results out of your stitching works. The factors include;
As mentioned earlier, leather is a tough material. As such, you need an equally powerful sewing machine to be able to sew through seams of leather. There are different types of leather too. Some are soft while others are hard. The power of the machine you acquire should be informed by the kind of leather you will be working on. Having an all-powerful leather sewing machine would not hurt though. A more powerful sewing machine is always desirable, though it may come at a cost.
- Number of Stitches
The number of stitches on a sewing machine is very important. It determines how wide the variety of the designs you can make it. A higher number of stitches is always desirable. It puts more options at your disposal. You can make more creative designs when you have a wider variety of stitching and decorative stitches. The different sewing machines come with a different number of stitches. Decorative stitches are particularly very important as they are the ones to use to create unique designs. You do not want each of your designs to look basic and unoriginal.
- Stitching Speed
The stitching speed of the sewing machine determines how fast you can work. As such, a sewing machine with a higher stitching speed is always desirable. However, ensure you are experienced enough when you decide to go for higher speed so that you don’t end up destroying your fabric. Your hand speed should correspond to the speed of the machine. If you are a beginner you should consider staring with a low speed sewing machine and upgrade when you have more experience.
- Ease of Use
The operation of the different machines differs. As such, you need to ensure you have the necessary know-how on how to operate the machine you get. For instance, there are computerized machines that require various settings before you can use them. Ensure you know how to do the settings or seek advice on how to go about it. Always go for the machine that you feel is easy and convenient for you to operate.
The price of the sewing machine is the ultimate determinant of whether you are going to get the machine. As such, you need to compare various sewing machines that are within your budget. Always strive to get the machine that delivers the most value to you. Take time to compare the different machines that are within your price range to find out which delivers more value for you. The machines may have the same features but have different prices.
The reviews and buying guide above should help you narrow down to your most preferred leather sewing machine. Purchasing a sewing machine should no longer be such a daunting task. You should be able to get one and get going leather sewing designs. You should be able to get the best leather sewing machine for the money you have.